JOB TITLE: Support Worker
RESPONSIBLE TO: Barnabas Manager
REPORTS TO: Barnabas Manager
OVERALL PURPOSE: To provide effective support to enable people with a physical and/or learning difficulty to live their lives to the full.
In relation to people supported:
- Promote the physical, emotional, social, spiritual and material well-being of people you support;
- Ensure that the people you support are safe and protected from harm;
- Support people in their intimate and personal care consistent with their individual needs;
- Enable people to achieve their full potential;
- Understand and respect the relationships which are important to people supported;
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with relatives, carers and others to promote partnership and trust;
- Support people to fulfil their wishes expressed day by day and as identified in their personal plans;
- Promote and act within the framework of John O’Brien’s Five Service Accomplishments.
- To act as an escort on the organisations vehicles as required.
- Support and encourage people to take part in the things that they enjoy
- Maximise the safety of people supported, staff and the community within the overall goal of supporting people to achieve positive outcomes in their lives;
- When appropriately trained, administer medication consistent with Diverse Abilities’ policy;
- Maintain records according to agreed procedures;
- Develop a rapport with and relate effectively to the person you are supporting;
- Enable people to get out and about.
In relation to the staff team:
- Engage effectively with other staff to ensure a consistency of approach;
- Attend training and team meetings;
- Take part in regular support and supervision as per Diverse Abilities’ Support and Supervision Policy;
- Act as a positive role model for those around you;
- Work within Diverse Abilities working values;
- Create a harmonious atmosphere during work.
In relation to management/organisation:
- Attend and participate in all training and development as identified to develop one’s own skills and abilities;
- Maintain a constant desire to learn and develop;
- Promote a positive image of Diverse Abilities;
- Carry out other duties within the spirit and purpose of the job.